Blog Patrol Counter

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Garden report


I just got back from a quick hike to the garden to water and while I have ten to eleven tomatoes collectively, on the vine, that may be all I'll get from my two plants. It seems the garden has some soil borne blight or something that slays tomato plants, right in their prime and some of the tomato plants are in pretty dire straights. It's worse on our side of the driveway between the two garden areas but is heading for the other side as well. It's not the kind of thing you can spray away either since it's in the soil. Probably the only recourse is to plant all new plants, and in this scorching heat, best of luck to you and the plants. Me? After mine bite the dust I'm gonna head down to Mrs. Lemley's and buy hers. Yeah, they may not be organic and they may have been sprayed with who knows what, but at least they are home grown in the US of A, and more specifically, locally grown. I have two tomatoes that are almost vine ripe and should be ready tomorrow, assuming a squirrel, bird, or rabbit does not find them first. There are lots of other peoples that are almost ready, too, so hopefully the animals will take pity on my meager selection and nibble on somebody elses.

I picked another load of green beans down to bare plants so they can start over, producing another round. I cooked what I had last night and they were outstanding. They were even good raw, dipped in a dip I made... but hell....a two by four would have been good dipped in that stuff.
When you start with sour cream, it's just hard to screw it up. Still waitin' on the squash....boy, mine are slow but that's what happens when you are a month late getting started. Never again will I do that. I almost had myself talked in to walking back up there for a few pic's-- but I just talked myself out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment