Blog Patrol Counter

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Benji, Benji, Benji....


I called Benji yesterday to check in. Among other things, he reminded me about a trip he'll be making to Los Angeles in July. Since his dad is helping a little with the trip funding, I decided that gave me a tad of wiggle room to voice my concerns. Read: big rationalization on MY part. But I did ask him if I might discuss my concerns with him, and he agreed, so there ya go--I was honest and up front. This trip is supposed to be about celebrating an old high school pal's recent marriage. Fine. I get that. I adore the guy. He's probably my favorite of Benji's pals.

Now for the real scoop. It's also a great reason to go to LA AND party like a Rock Star. And yep, even that's none of my business, since I'm not funding it. But here's the real kicker: his friend is also in recovery. And has been for a few years. For drugs and alcohol. Are you thinking this guy really wants to be around a bunch of old friend's who are partying, and he's not? Pals he used to party with?? Puuuulease. Let's be honest here. That's probably THE LAST thing he'd enjoy, and I tried to get that across to Benji. Earth to Benji...Come in, Benji.

Let's get real....this so called party isn't for his friend--it's just an excuse for Benji and his pals to party. Hey, I was 25 once....I get it. Why not change the whole deal to something his friend REALLY WOULD enjoy? Wouldn't that be courteous? Wouldn't that be supportive of his friend's recovery, sensitive, and even thoughtful? I'm not saying the whole world should all stop drinking because some people can't. Benji tried that one on me, laughing, knowing I'd shoot it down. I'm just saying, if you are having a party for a diabetic, you don't shove a sugar laden cake in their face. So much for sensitivity training. Today I know, I can't teach what somebody else doesn't want to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment