Blog Patrol Counter

Thursday, June 3, 2010

BCBS...what a racket


I started my day outside in the backyard with a cup of coffee, in my pj's, sitting quietly and just listening. My plan was to garden and snip until I got hot, and then head in for more coffee and cool air. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. I had a nagging Oh, sh** reminder that I had to call Blue Cross to work out (if possible) my anesthesia bill. Never mind my anesthesiologist was the best ever--I was getting socked with 100% of the bill since he doesn't take insurance--a fact I was never told. Not to mention the fact, I can pick my surgeon but I don't get to pick my anesthesiologist, and BCBS knows that. So, instead of the peaceful clipping and snipping I had planned, I have been hassling with BCBS for over an hour.

I have an ally in all this--the book keeper at the anesthesiologist office. Angela and I are now gal-pals and she is helping me force BCBS to do the right thing. I have no issue with paying my part--he was worth every penny--I'm just not gonna pay BCBS's part simply because he's out of network. I didn't pick him so smoke on that, BCBS.

I have learned over the years to gather information before firing any weapons and to make friends with office staff. They know everything and will usually help you if you are nice. Make the connection and you are as good as done. I have also learned never to take no for an answer--just nicely go up the chain, especially with someone else who knows all the ins and outs, helping you. There's always somebody up the chain who can do more than the other low life down streamers. Sorry to say it but we all know that's just the facts. So, tick, tick, tick....here I sit waiting to hear back if the Supervisor can now convince her Manager to reimburse at a higher level, so everybody is happy. As long as I don't have to pay the full charge, I'll consider that a win. For everybody.

Now for that snipping....

No comments:

Post a Comment